"I have been performing on the stage since I
was 8 years old. But my most recent experience
as part of the hit musical Loving the Silent Tears has given me a new perspective about stage presence."
• The major theme for the month of March is songwriting and playing my cavaquinho. Some cool music has already come to life and I have some lyrics still in search of the perfect melody.
• I am also working hard on putting together a new musical project with some A+ musicians. We are hoping to play a few dates later this summer. It will be sort of a nostalgic revival, to say the least. Stay tuned!
• This website was hacked at some point in January. They left their ‘signature’ and deleted the last few months of posts here. I’ve updated wordpress and the security utilities so we will see what happens next.
• I had a wonderful show at the Maybeck Studio in Berkeley, CA with Ricardo Peixoto (guitar), Mary Fettig (flute/sax) and Stephanie Ozer (piano). Whant a gorgeous, intimate listening room! The Maybeck home was built in 1914 and rebuilt in 1923 after a fire. The acoustics were absolutely incredible!
• Thanks to all the Program Directors and DJs who have been playing Namorados; my recent collaboration with Roberto Vally and Jeffrey Carruthers. It’s Track 04 on Roberto’s ‘pure lines’ CD.
• My collaboration with jazz vocalist/guitarist Ron Boustead will be released February 14th, 2017. It’s called Til Now and is Track 05 on Ron’s ‘Unlikely Valentine’ CD. It’s a great song with English/Portuguese vocals and lyrics and we have added a Brazilian bossa touch. I’ll be singing that with Ron and his band on February 22nd at the ESpot Lounge at Vitellos in Studio City, CA at Ron’s CD Release Performance.
• It looks like my collaboration with jazz vocalist/guitarist Ron Boustead will be released February 14th, 2017. I’m very excited about this project. We recorded the song in Los Angeles last August and the mixing/mastering is complete. Ron and I sang together and we added a Brazilian bossa touch. It’s a great song with English/Portuguese vocals and lyrics. Stay tuned!
• Things are moving along on my new CD; a return to my sertanejo roots. Jean de Carvalho will feature 8 songs written by my father, Dercilio Passoni (with new arrangements) and 4 songs written by me. I have been working closely with my Brazilian producer and we have just a few more things to fall in place before we set a recording date in Brazil (likely spring/summer 2017).
• I’m in love again …. with my custom made cavaquinho that I picked up last month from the incredible craftsman Carlinho Luthier in Venceslaus Brás, Minas Gerais. The sound is absolutely incredible; acoustic and through my Fishman Loudbox. I have been in major practice mode and continue my weekly lessons via skype with my teacher Léo Sant’ana (Poćos de Caldas). I’m hoping to add a few songs (w/ cavaquinho) to my shows soon.
• I returned from a fantastic visit to my hometown; Poços de Caldas in Minas Gerais, Brasil. I spent some quality time with family, friends, and music. My special show (duo) with grand guitarist, Alexandre de Almeida was a huge success. I saw many, many, fans and friends from times past. I also visited the workshop of Carlinhos Luthier in Venceslau Brás and picked up my custom made cavaquinho! What a gorgeous instrument and the sound is absolutely incredible! I am so excited! Lots of practicing ahead for me.
• I also had a few business meetings in Brasil about my new CD. I hooked up with a great producer, the recording studio is set, and the basic mood and expectations were discussed. The CD will be 13 or 14 songs; mostly written by my father, Dercilio Passoni (with new arrangements) and a few written by me. I’m returning to my Brazilian sertanejo roots for this CD !!! We hope to record in the spring of 2017. Stay tuned !!!
• I am really looking forward to my September 10th show in Ripon CA – The Women of Brazil. I will be sharing the stage with Téka, a great guitarist and fabulous singer. John Griswold and friends (non-profit red-tie.org) have put together a great night of fun with wine, dinner, an art show (3 artists including Paulista Rita Barbano) and late night dessert/coffee bar. The music is going to be great and I will be debuting my recently acquired cavaquinho skills. This is the final concert of the “2016 Lucca Winery Outdoor Summer Concert Series” set in a beautiful outdoor location.
• September will also bring some well-earned rest for me. I’ll be visiting family & friends in Poços de Caldas (my hometown), Brasil. I have one special show there (duo) with grand guitarist, Alexandre de Almeida. I will also take a short trip to Venceslau Brás to pick up my new custom made cavaquinho! I am so excited! Churrascos here I come!